This course is structured as a trip of discovery. Using different techniques (monotypes, découpage, felt pens, water paints) we will create a path that touches some of the themes closest to illustration as a narrative art. Just like ancient travellers, our brushes will paint seas, deserts, animals, monsters, cities, woods, mirrors.
A trip to meet fables and landscapes, people living in literature and in our own life experiences. Exercises and processes in which experimentation and intuition will be followed by order and analysis, in an attempt to seek the union between expression and meaning.
Along the road we will find characters and sceneries, but also lines, structure, composition, colours; key concepts of visual language as abstraction and figuration, symbol and syntax; geography, botany, imaginary zoology. A walk between reality and imagination.
1. The sketchbook: landscapes, maps and imaginary trips. The graphic exploration: rhythm, colour and form.
2. Construction of a scene: zoology and fantastic botany.
3. Construction of characters in the scene: the fable.
4. Analysis of the image: visual language, metaphors and symbols.
5. Analysis of the fable: mechanisms of oral and literary narrations.
6. Narrative sequence: to tell a story with images.